We want to confront the communications strategies of big polluters with four days of decentralised, coordinated actions across Europe in the run up to COP26.
From Thursday 7th October to Sunday 10th October 2021
We invite groups to:
- Reclaim corporate advertising spaces with creative artworks that challenge the fossil fuel industry.
- Organise protest actions against fossil industry, airlines and car manufacturers as well as advertising agencies which promote these high carbon industries.
- Continue campaigns to remove these big polluters from our sports clubs, museums, universities and art galleries.
- Call for advertising and sponsorship bans on fossil fuels, cars and aviation.
- Create online material to parody the marketing campaigns of big polluters.
How to get started:
- Sign up to our Newsletter below!
- Watch the recording of our Actions conference on September 16th to learn more about why we act and be inspired by other activists!
- Watch the recording of our Offline Tactics skillshare
- Be inspired by our developing tactics toolkit.
- Take action and share using the #BanFossilAds
In the run-up to the COP26 in Glasgow, we can expect the fossil fuel, airline and car industries to launch aggressive greenwashing campaigns through their advertisements and sponsorships.
Looking at their adverts and sponsorships, these companies present themselves as socially-responsible renewable energy firms, promoting ‘natural’ gas and biofuel as transition fuels, carbon offset schemes and making vague and distant promises to reach ‘net zero’ carbon emissions. All of this acts as a smokescreen for continued business-as-usual and rising emissions.
Behind the corporate greenwash, there are highly lucrative oil and gas companies, auto makers, aviation industry as well as advertising agencies promoting these polluters. The advertising industry is a high carbon industry – yet it has largely escaped public scrutiny.
Fossil ads seriously damage your health and our planet: Following the tobacco industry’s playbook, major polluters are using our public spaces and institutions to greenwash their image, delaying climate action by framing themselves as part of the solutions. In fact, a new report released last week, by DeSmog, found that an average of 63% of Read More
More than 200 bus stop spaces were hijacked with spoof adverts in the UK, Paris and Belgium this weekend, as activists target the advertising industry over its role in propping up major polluters. The subvertising campaign, coordinated by the anonymous Brandalism network, was part of the wave of grassroots actions across Europe in protest against all Read More
Paris, 2021-10-09: This Saturday, bus stops in Paris who continuously pester passer-bys with high consumption, cheap trips, cars and fossil fuel ads were hijacked by activists from Résistance à l’Agression Publicitaire (RAP) and Extinction Rebellion Paris / Île-de-France! Read More
An action in Bristol saw three advertising sites across the city put to better use on Saturday as part of the European days of action to ban fossil fuel advertising and sponsorships. Adblock Bristol, a group campaigning to prevent harmful advertising including for high-carbon products, covered up ads at a phone kiosk and standalone ad Read More
Mercredi soir 6 Octobre, des activistes du collectif Liège Sans Pub ont placardé une centaine d’affiches dans la ville avec pour cible la publicité des entreprises fossiles telles que les industries automobiles. Les affiches représentaient un modèle de voiture SUV de la marque Land Rover (une des plus polluantes au Royaume-Uni, qui a notamment été Read More